This amazing photo is a close up of a Dove and her babies. If you’ve every heard the familiar cooooo cooooo coooo sound during a quiet time outdoors, you’ll know that doves are a really interesting bird, learn more about them now
1. You’ll often see doves collecting seeds from the ground. It may not be for eating them right away. By stockpiling their food in a “crop” which is a part of their throat, they can save nutrition for digestion at a later time.
2. Doves main source of food is seeds, rather than insects. A favorite of doves is the seed of weeds, so be happy when you see them around if you like your lawn weed free!
3. That awesome sound you hear them make is usually coming from the male. The male dove is literally trying to “Woo” his potential mate.
4. At nap time, the dove will rest her head between her shoulders rather than tucking their heads under the shoulder feathers like many other birds.
5. Doves are amazingly fast fliers! Doves have been clocked at over 55mph!
6. Doves like to have babies in groups of two. When laying eggs, a single egg is not common, two is the norm, and two weeks is the incubation time.
7. The parents of the baby dove will feed crop milk also known as ‘pigeon milk’ to the newborns for the beginning days of life. It is highly rich in fat and protein, and looks like cottage cheese. This food comes from the parents crop area where they store seeds, and they regurgitate the milk into the babies mouth.
8. The Mourning Dove is related to the common Passenger Pigeon.
9. Doves will often mate for life!
Thanks for checking out 9 Surprising Facts About Doves – Please share with friends using the buttons below!